Hilbert’s paralegal studies program is distinguished by tradition and excellence. The longest-running paralegal studies program in Western New York, it is the region’s only bachelor’s degree program approved by the American Bar Association.
We provide a strong combination of theory and practice, helping you build a foundation in the principles of law that will serve you throughout your career. Coursework emphasizes problem solving, critical thinking and legal analysis in practical exercises.
A paralegal is not an attorney and may not “practice law,” but assists qualified lawyers in their work, typically by performing administrative and research functions requiring knowledge of the law and its proceedings.
Program graduates work in diverse law-related settings, including private law firms, government agencies, courts, financial institutions and corporate legal departments. Paralegal studies is also great preparation for work with insurance companies, human service agencies or other law-related professions.
Hilbert offers two degrees, both approved by the American Bar Association:
- Associate in Applied Science in legal studies: This two-year program prepares you for entry-level employment or for further paralegal studies.
- Bachelor of Science in legal studies: This four-year program prepares you for work in the legal community and law-related professions, or to pursue graduate studies in law, government, business, information science and other fields.
The paralegal program is grounded in a liberal arts curriculum that stresses the acquisition of essential writing, communication, research and quantitative skills.
Four concentrations are available, based on your career objectives:
- Child and Family Law
- Research and Writing
Coursework is supplemented by placement in an internship that provides real-work opportunities in your area of concentration. You’ll gain invaluable insight and experience as an intern for a law firm, local courts, corporations, government offices, legal service agencies or other law-related institutions.
Why study paralegal studies at Hilbert?
- learn from professors with experience in the legal profession
- a 14-to-1 student-professor ratio means unmatched personal attention in small classes
- Job search and graduate studies guidance
- flexible scheduling with day, evening, hybrid and online options