Offering a diverse selection of courses, Hilbert's bachelor-level English program provides you with a firm foundation in main literary periods, significant authors and their works. Our program's innovative courses are designed to give you a broad understanding of some of the world's most renowned writers of drama, prose, and poetry, as well as insight into literary theories and cultural and period texts. Beyond this, the English program helps refine your written and oral speaking skills and your expression of creativity by encouraging you to write extensively and practice various writing modes and styles. Hilbert's program also helps to develop your interpretive, analytic, and reasoning abilities.
Depending on your interests and career goals, you may select one of our five concentrations, offering you flexibility in choosing a specialty in creative studies, drama, or professional communications or preparation for graduate studies in law, counseling or business. You can even jump-start your graduate-level studies in education/teacher certification through one of our articulation agreements with some local graduate programs.
Our English faculty represent a broad range of professional backgrounds and academic orientations. Our professors bring a depth of theoretical, scholarly and practical experience to the classroom from a variety of areas, and encourage open, lively discussions about some of the most challenging, interesting issues in the literary and artistic world.
If you are interested in the professional or creative aspects of media production, the college's state-of-the-art digital film editing lab and diverse courses will give you hands-on training in video editing, digital photography, and film.
You'll have the opportunity to gain practical experience through our outstanding internship program, allowing you to integrate principles and concepts discovered in the classroom with the real job market. As a student-intern, you'll gain valuable insights and knowledge at places like radio and television stations, government offices, nonprofit organizations, and libraries, among many other sites.
Even more, you'll have a chance to excel in your future career through membership in the one of several student clubs or organizations related to your field of study, including the Great Expectations Club, our campus newspaper the H-Files, the college's literary magazine Hilbert Horizons, or the Society of Fine Arts.
Many graduates of Hilbert's program move directly into entry-level positions as professionals in various fields, while others choose further study in a range of master's degree programs. In recent years, Hilbert graduates have accepted positions with WNED, Make a Wish Foundation, and local radio stations and newspapers, while others have been accepted into graduate programs for education, English, American studies, and ESL.
Why Study English at Hilbert?
There are several advantages to studying English at Hilbert:
- Specialized concentrations that allow you to focus on your area of interest.
- Opportunity to earn college credit while interning at a variety of agencies and organizations, giving you practical experience that can lead to a full-time position at your intern site.
- Access to a digital film editing lab to fine-tune your skills.
- A student/teacher ratio of 14:1.
- Day, evening and on-line courses to accommodate your busy schedule.
- Chance to minor in one of more than a dozen academic areas.
- Unmatched personal attention and academic advisement.
- Opportunity to learn from top-notch professors who are distinguished in their scholarly areas or have real-world experience in specialty fields.
- Job search guidance in the profession.
- Outstanding job opportunities after graduation.
- Develop invaluable relationships with professors that last long after you've graduated.
- CAW: Reflections of a Hip-Hop Culture: Commercialism vs. Social Consciousness
- Oct 22, 2014
- CAW: Film Viewing Miss Representation
- Oct 22, 2014
- CAW: Cultural Bazaar
- Oct 23, 2014