For media inquiries and interview requests, please contact the Office of Marketing & Communications.
Director of Marketing & Communications
201 Franciscan Hall
Hilbert College is pleased to announce this year’s San Damiano Award recipients, Sandra Augustine, Maureen English ’83, Colin Howard ‘15, Lauren Lukasiewicz ’12, Paul Weaver (posthumously), and Athletics Hall of Fame Inductees, Amanda McHale ’08 and Jacob Opala ’04. The Hilbert College San Damiano Awards honor alumni and friends of the college who personify Hilbert’s core values and tradition of integrity and excellence. Also recognized at the reception are the Hilbert College Athletics Hall of Fame Inductees.
The Ninth Annual San Damiano Awards Reception is set for Friday, September 26. The awards reception will begin at 5:30 p.m. on the quad at Hilbert College with award presentations following in Swan Auditorium. The night will include a silent auction to support student scholarships. For more information visit: http://giving.hilbert.edu/San_Damiano_Awards
Dominique Thompson Alumni of the Year Award – Given to the individual who demonstrates Hilbert’s Franciscan values and encompasses the true spirit of the college.
• Maureen English ‘83 – was born and raised in South Buffalo, NY; she worked for many years for Verizon in many different capacities. During her tenure with Verizon, she attended and graduated from Hilbert College as an adult student. Her passion for Catholic education and her commitment to the Franciscan values of Hilbert College are ever present in her daily life. Ms. English serves on the Hilbert College Board of Trustees Mission Integration committee as the alumni representative. She has volunteered with the Catholic Charities Community Division for many years. Maureen is a long-time supporter, volunteer, and member of the St. Martin of Tours parish.
Sister Adrienne Faculty / Staff Lifetime Achievement Award – Presented to a past or current faculty/staff member who emulates the characteristics that Sister Adrienne Rapnicki, FSSJ, exhibited during her tenure at Hilbert.
• Sandra Augustine – a certified public accountant and certified fraud examiner, joined the Hilbert faculty in 1980. Since then, she has worked as a tireless advocate for accounting students and graduates and continues to be a dedicated instructor. She worked on the creation of the Economic Crime Investigation program and was chair from its inception to creation of divisions in 2009. An active participant in the N.Y.S. Society of CPA’s, she serves as liaison with the college accounting programs and the accounting profession giving students wonderful job and internship opportunities.
G.O.L.D (Graduate of the Last Decade) Award – Presented to Hilbert graduates of the last decade who have achieved career success and demonstrated significant volunteer service to their communities and/or Hilbert.
• Lauren Lukasiewicz ‘12 – A Forensic Science major at Hilbert, she graduated with honors and now works for the Summit County Medical Examiner’s office in Akron, Ohio.
Hilbert College Franciscan Values Award (non-alum) – Presented to a friend of Hilbert, who exemplifies the principles in which the college was founded and who has distinguished him/herself in their career and the community.
• Paul Weaver (posthumously) – A Hilbert College trustee from 1982 to 2002 and chairman of the board from 1990 to 1998, and trustee emeritus in November 2002. He received Hilbert’s Distinguished Person of the Year Award in 1995. He was a senior partner at Jaeckle Fleischmann & Mugel where he had been since 1961 specializing in business and corporate law. In 2006, he received The Daily Record’s Leaders in Law Award. He was a member of SS. Peter & Paul Catholic Church in Hamburg, where he taught religious education classes and served as a Eucharistic minister for many years. He was a past president of the Erie County Bar Association. He was a past president of Wanakah Country Club and a member of the Buffalo Club. He was a former director and vice chairman of Mercy Flight and a member of the executive board of the Greater Buffalo Partnership.
St. Clare Student of the Year Award – Presented to a current student who has distinguished him/herself at Hilbert and in the community, as well as exemplifies the college’s Franciscan mission and tradition.
• Colin Howard ‘15 – A senior accounting major, Colin has gone above and beyond as a student on campus exemplifying the true meaning of the Franciscan spirit. During his time as SGA Treasurer, he was part of the initiation of the “Member of the Month” award to recognize SGA members who have gone above and beyond their position. He also set up a point system to reward clubs for responsibly spending their budget, ensuring that the college invests in its student organizations. Whether it be helping a student with a personal problem or assisting a staff member set up for an event, Colin does not hesitate to go out of his way to help others.
Athletics Hall of Fame Inductees – Recognizes former Hilbert student-athletes, coaches and supporters who have contributed to the success of the college both on and off the athletic field.
• Jacob Opala ‘04 originally from West Seneca, N.Y. – The men’s soccer program’s All-Time Leading points scorer was a NEAC two-time, 1st Team All-Conference player his sophomore and junior seasons at Hilbert. He remains as the Hawks’ leader in goals and assists. Opala continues to serve the community as a New York State Trooper.
• Amanda McHale ‘08 of Bradford, Pa. – Graduated as the only player in both the men’s and women’s basketball programs to pull down over 1,000 rebounds at Hilbert College while adding over 1,000 points. She is still ranked in the top four in 15 different statistical categories and finished the season ranked in the DIII NCAA national Top 25 rankings five times. McHale is currently employed by Geico.
-- www.hilbert.edu --
Application forms, procedures and additional information
There are many ways to experience
Hilbert for yourself
Learn more about the programs that interest you