Becoming an RA
Resident Assistants (RAs) are student staff members for the Office of Residence Life. As an RA, you provide assistance, information, help and support to resident students. RAs have a lot of enthusiasm, commitment and flexibility to work in the residence halls' dynamic and changing environment.
RAs live on campus in one of the wings or units in the residence halls. An RA position is for one year and those who would like to come back again as an RA may do so by reapplying each year.
RAs are responsible for:
- Getting to know each resident who lives in the residence hall area they oversee.
- Familiarizing residents with residence hall rules and regulations, as well as the rights and responsibilities of residents.
- Assisting with the enforcement of rules, rights and responsibilities.
- Helping students maintain an environment conducive to learning.
- Being on call to respond to emergency situations on a rotating basis from 7 p.m. to 8 a.m. daily.
- Acting as liaisons between residents and the Office of Residence Life.
- Assisting in the development of social and educational activities.
- Facilitating student-to-student and student-to-staff interaction.
- RAs receive free room if placed in an apartment or residence hall room and a $600/year stipend with a $100.00 increase for each year returning.
- RAs in the Residence Hall must have a meal plan.
- If you have a loan or receive aid, check with your financial aid counselor to see if being an RA will affect your aid package.
How to Apply
To apply for an RA position, you must:
- Be matriculated in a degree program.
- Have at least a 2.5 grade point average and sophomore status.
- Have lived on campus at least one semester prior to employment.
- Have no outstanding debt owed to the college at the time of employment.
- Have no continuing record of disciplinary action.
|October 13th||RA applications available online and in the Residence Life Office|
|October 21st – October 31st||Interview sign-ups
sheet available at the Residence Life Office
|October 21st and 22nd (pick one)||
RA Information Sessions @ 8pm
|October 31st||RA Application Deadline
due to Office of Residence Life by 4:30pm
|November 4th – November 13th||RA Candidate Interviews|
|November 17th||Selection letters sent out (check your mailbox)|
|November 26th||RA Acceptance Forms due back|
If you have additional questions about the process, please do not hesistate to contact:
Jason Lanker, Director of Residence Life and Judicial Affairs, at 716-649-7900 ext. 362 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Erin Ackerman, Assistant Director of Residence Life, at 716-649-7900 ext. 253 or email@example.com
Nina Pierino, Area Coordinator of Residence LIfe, at 716-649-7900 ext: 431 or firstname.lastname@example.org.