What is HEOP?
The Arthur O. Eve Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP) was created in 1969 by the New York State Legislature and is a partnership between the State of New York and Hilbert College.
This program provides a broad range of services to New York State residents who, because of educational and economic circumstances, would otherwise be unable to attend a postsecondary educational institution. Through the financial and academic support provided, HEOP students will strengthen their skill sets and achieve lifelong success at Hilbert College.
- Financial support to cover:
- Tuition and fees
- Housing and an unlimited meal plan
- Books and supplies
- Personal and academic counseling is provided to assist HEOP students in navigating through problems that have the potential of affecting academic success
- Individualized career mentoring to assist in finding internships as well as positive career placement
- Free tutoring services
- Credit-bearing, developmental coursework to strengthen reading, writing, and study skills
- A five-week pre-freshmen summer program for all new, incoming HEOP students, to assist in students’ successful transition to college
Hilbert College will consider all New York State resident students that live in New York State that meet the academic and financial requirements of HEOP.
How do I apply for HEOP consideration?
First-Time College Students (Freshmen)
- Submit a free application for admission
- Send official high school transcript
- Include your first quarter report card (required)
- Submit minimum of one letter of recommendation
- A 500 word (or less) personal statement
- File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Complete the financial verification form
- Complete a personal interview with the HEOP Review Committee
When will I know if I'm eligible?
All applicants must complete all of the above steps no later than January 31st to qualify for consideration. Formal acceptance decisions will be made shortly after and decisions will be sent by mail.
Can I still get admitted to Hilbert if I'm not selected for HEOP?
It's important to note that if a student does not qualify for HEOP, they will automatically be reviewed for acceptance into our Assisi Scholar Program. The Assisi Scholar Program is a first-year experience program that offers a series of academic and student support services both in and outside the classroom.
Can I transfer my into HEOP at Hilbert?
To transfer to Hilbert College through HEOP, students must currently be, or have previously been enrolled in an approved HEOP, EOP, SEEK, or College Discovery Program. Transfer admission for HEOP is on a space-available basis. To qualify, students must first be accepted as a transfer student before seeking HEOP. Upon acceptance, students must then complete the Transfer HEOP Form.
Courtney E. Witherspoon
Director of Student Success and Retention,
Arthur O. Eve Higher Education Opportunity Program
Center for Student Success and Retention
McGrath Library- 101
5200 South Park Ave. | Hamburg, NY 14075