What is HEOP?
The Arthur O. Eve Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP) was created in 1969 by the New York State Legislature and is a partnership between the State of New York and Hilbert College.
This program provides a broad range of services to New York State residents who, because of educational and economic circumstances, would otherwise be unable to attend a postsecondary educational institution. Through the financial and academic support provided, HEOP students will strengthen their skill sets and achieve lifelong success at Hilbert College.
- Financial support to cover:
- Tuition and fees
- Housing and an unlimited meal plan
- Books and supplies
- Personal and academic counseling is provided to assist HEOP students in navigating through problems that have the potential of affecting academic success
- Individualized career mentoring to assist in finding internships as well as positive career placement
- Free tutoring services
- Credit-bearing, developmental coursework to strengthen reading, writing, and study skills
- A five-week pre-freshmen summer program for all new, incoming HEOP students, to assist in students’ successful transition to college
Hilbert College will consider all New York State resident students that live in New York State that meet the academic and financial requirements of HEOP.
How to apply for HEOP consideration
First-Time College Students (Freshmen)
- Submit a free application for admission: www.hilbert.edu/apply
- Submit official high school transcript
- One (or more) letter(s) of recommendation
- A 500 word (or less) personal statement or essay
- File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Complete the financial verification form
To transfer to Hilbert College through HEOP, students must currently be, or have previously been enrolled in an approved HEOP, EOP, SEEK, or College Discovery Program. Transfer admission for HEOP is on a space-available basis. To qualify, students must first be accepted as a transfer student before seeking HEOP. Upon acceptance, students must then complete the Transfer HEOP Form.
Office of Admissions