Plans for Returning to Campus for the Fall Semester
Office of the President
Friday, June 19, 2020
Greetings to the Hilbert College Community:
Hilbert College students will return to campus for classes on August 31, 2020, confident in knowing that Hilbert is ready to protect their health and safety. Our Franciscan educational model is what distinguishes Hilbert, and our community is working throughout the summer to preserve this during these challenging times. We will continue to place a premium on the mentor-based model that is central to the character formation experience that each and every Hilbert student enjoys. In addition, we will employ technological solutions that support our balanced approach to health and education.
As a result of our continuing deliberations, the College would like to provide this guidance for all Hilbert College community members as they plan for the fall:
Classes and Academic Calendar
- Fall 2020 undergraduate classes will be conducted face-to-face on campus beginning on August 31 and ending on November 24. Fall Break, originally scheduled for October 12-13, will be cancelled. All undergraduate classes will then move online for the remainder of the semester, ending on December 18. As is the case every fall, a small number of courses will be taught entirely online.
- Graduate classes will continue as planned with further information to come.
Campus Health and Safety
- All Hilbert College community members and guests will be required to wear a mask when on campus. A consideration of necessary exceptions will be reviewed over the summer with more guidance to follow from the Comeback Task Force.
- Once we all return, each community member will check-in online whenever they plan to return campus, re: their self-reported health and wellness. This will mean a daily check-in for most in our community.
- When needed, alternative learning arrangements will be made for all students via technology.
- Employees who are especially vulnerable to the virus can discuss alternative work arrangements with their supervisors.
- All guests to campus will need to register with designated offices (specific details will be announced).
- All campus signage will clearly indicate how our facilities need to be utilized during the pandemic.
- There will be a gradual phase-in over the summer that enables the College to return all employees to their campus offices by August 17th at 8 am. More info on this will follow in July.
- The College will devote the resources needed to identify and contain the virus in all settings, working in tandem with local and regional health agencies. We will set the highest bar in complying with all state and federal guidelines.
- Residence Halls will be open. Information on move-in for students will be provided as soon as it is available.
- The library and academic services will be open and available remotely and in-person.
- Our residential students and student athletes will be required to complete special training focused on preserving health and safety in the residence halls and athletic facilities.
- New Student Orientation will be provided online, starting the week of July 20. Welcome Week will begin the weekend of August 29 - 30. Hilbert will offer virtual events and experiences with new students throughout the summer. More details will be forthcoming from the New Student Orientation Committee in the weeks ahead.
You can expect additional communications throughout the summer as we prepare to come back to campus. We are all especially grateful to those who are working this summer to prepare for this extraordinary opportunity we have to demonstrate our care for others through the charism shared with us by the Franciscan Sisters of Saint Joseph.
Dr. Michael Brophy
President of Hilbert College