John Payne, M.S.
Forensic Science/Crime Scene Investigation
- M.S., Hilbert College
- B.S., Hilbert College
Courses (past and present):
- FS 403 Bloodstain Pattern Analysis / Crash Management / Report Writing
- FS 201 Introduction to Forensic Photography / Imagery
Areas of expertise:
Sr. Det. Payne has areas of expertise in the following investigative areas: homicide/death, arson, narcotics, and child and adult sexual assaults. He also has extensive experience in tactical operations as a SWAT team sniper and in school lockdown and security protocols.
Previous work history:
Sr. Det. Payne has spent over 30 years in law enforcement. He started as a security officer, then moved on to park police before taking various patrol positions at the municipal and county levels. He left his work as a patrol officer to become a Law Enforcement Specialist with the United States Air Force where he spent a decade. He then joined the Orchard Park Police Department's Detective Bureau where he works today.
Professional Memberships/Board Appointments:
Sr. Det. Payne is Chairman of the Mutual Assistance group in Erie County, Director of the Orchard Park Orchard Park Youth Court, and Chairman of the Orchard park Community Youth Council. He is also a member of the New York State DARE Officer Association, and the New York State School Resource Officer Association.
Honors and Distinctions:
Sr. Det. Payne has received the following honors and distinctions:
- Orchard Park Town Board Recognition Certificate for the Angela Moss homicide investigation, 2015
- Pathfinder Educational Award from New York State special education, 2005
- Richard A. Hoffman Excellence Award for superior level of instruction and dedication to police recruit training, 2005
- Two letters of accommodation for outstanding service from the Orchard Park Police Department
- Top Driver Award, emergency vehicle operation course, 1997
- The Deputy Jeffrey A. Incardona Memorial Award for leadership and dedication to recruit from the Niagara County Sheriff's Office, 1994
- US Air Force Law Enforcement Officer of the Year, 1992
Online presence or regular media contributions:
Professional Research/Published Works/Presentations:
One of Sr. Det. Payne's cases was featured by Tony Harris on Scene of the Crime:
Hartwell, Cat. (Director). (2018, July 28). Deadly deceit (Season 2, Episode 6) [Tv series episode]. In David Smith and Amy Bucher (Executive Producers), Scene of the crime with Tony Harris. Part2 Pictures; Investigation Discovery.
Senior Detective Payne has 32 years of law enforcement experience, where he has spent 22 years of that experience working in educational settings such as elementary, middle and high schools; police recruitment; public information instruction; and undergraduate instruction.
Throughout his career, he has dedicated his energy towards providing the community with a resource of information and security. His work ethic and dedication shows his passion for all aspects of law enforcement and community involvement.