Hilbert College has received $341,000 in federal funding through the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act to distribute as emergency grants as quickly as possible to students whose lives and educations have been disrupted by the pandemic. Here's how to determine whether you are eligible for the funds and if so, how to apply.

Emergency grants will be awarded to students using a need-based formula as determined by federal financial aid guidelines.  All students who filed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) will be awarded an emergency grant if qualified.  The application deadline date is July 15, 2020.


Here's what's required:

  • Enrollment in a degree-seeking program as an undergraduate student, or as a graduate student with Title IV eligibility [Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), Federal Subsidized and Unsubsidized Direct Loans]. College Credit Plus students are ineligible.
  • Eligible as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid or FAFSA (see details below this list)
  • U.S. citizenship or eligible noncitizen
  • A valid Social Security number
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress in their course of study
  • Do not owe a refund on grants previously received or in default on any federal student loans
  • Must have been enrolled in at least one face-to-face or hybrid class in spring 2020 semester. Students enrolled in online-only programs prior to March 13, 2020 are not eligible.
  • Returning students must be registered for the Fall 2020 semester, May 2020 graduates are NOT required to be enrolled for Fall 2020 to be eligible.

According to U.S. Department of Education, only students who are eligible to participate in Federal Title IV programs may receive CARES Act funds. Therefore, if you already filed a 2019-20 FAFSA and receive Title IV aid, then you are eligible to apply for CARES Act funds.

If you have not filed a FAFSA, please apply at to be considered.


CARES Emergency Assistance Grant must be used to cover expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to coronavirus. This includes, but is not limited to, eligible expenses under a student’s cost of attendance, such as food, housing, course materials, technology, health care, and childcare.

Starting the process:

Go to the CARES Act Application

(Application review will begin on June 1, 2020.)


The Financial Aid Office staff will review applications on a regular and ongoing basis to determine eligibility and allocated amount based on financial need. A member of the financial aid team will communicate with you if there are concerns or if additional information is needed.

The student will receive an email sent to his or her Hilbert College address with a decision. Payment by check may take up to ten business days to be received.


  • Food expenses may include unexpected grocery expenses or a student supporting dependent children now home due to their school or childcare closure.
  • Course materials may include but not limited to general use supplies such as writing utensils and notebooks; course specific supplies such as calculators, lab equipment, rental of musical equipment, paint brushes, and canvases unexpectedly required to be purchased due to campus disruption of regular operations.
  • Technology expenses may include computer equipment, internet access expenses, printer supplies, etc. required for student success when transitioning to an online format from the traditional in-person class structure.
  • Health care expenses may include the cost of unanticipated or unusual medical expenses due to coronavirus or its effects.
  • Childcare/Dependent care expenses may include the cost of unanticipated or unusual care expenses for a student’s child or other dependents in the independent (based on FAFSA) student’s household.
  • Transportation expenses may include the cost of unanticipated or unusual travel expenses related to the disruption of campus operations. This may include additional trips to the college to retrieve personal belongings or difficulty in making car payments due to income loss from this economic disruption.
  • Housing expenses may include unanticipated expenses in securing housing and/or rent for residential students after the closure of campus housing in March. This may also include difficulty in making rent or mortgage payments due to income loss from this economic disruption.



Is there a deadline to apply for CARES Emergency Assistance Grant?

Yes. The application deadline is July 15, 2020. Applications will be considered on a first-come, first served basis until all funds are depleted.

The college’s goal is to distribute these funds as widely as possible to assist many students.

How long will it take for me to receive the funds?

Receiving the payment may take up to 10 days after approval. The financial aid staff will review applications on an ongoing basis and make decisions as quickly as possible.

Once an application has been approved, notification will be sent to the student's Hilbert College inbox. In the event an application is not approved, the student will be notified as soon as possible to provide additional information or to clarify eligibility.

How will the funds be received?

CARES Emergency Assistance Grant funds will be sent by check to the address provided in the application. We recommend you regularly update your mailing address with the Registrar. Due to these unique circumstances, your check to be sent to your permanent residence on file with the college.

Could these funds be deemed taxable by the IRS?

CARES Act student payments are non-taxable, according to the IRS.

Can CARES Emergency Assistance Grant funds be applied to my college balance or account?

No, the college cannot directly apply these funds to an outstanding balance on a student’s account. The college will disburse funds to students by check.

Can I make a payment to my college balance using a portion of the CARES Emergency Assistance Grant?

You can make a payment on your balance at any time. However, please note that the intent of the CARES Act is to provide emergency cash grants to students to cover their emergency personal expenses such as food, housing, course materials, technology, health care and childcare.

Please ensure you have what you need to cover these expenses before using any emergency grant funds to make payment on an outstanding student account balance. Hilbert College will not withhold any CARES Act funds to cover balances.

What are my options if I lost my job?

CARES Act funds cannot be used to offset lost income but can be used to help toward expenses incurred due to that lost income if those expenses were due to the disruption of campus operations due to coronavirus.

It is recommended that you contact the Financial Aid office to discuss the details of your situation. It may be an option to request a Special Circumstance Form to determine if you are eligible for additional federal funds due to a reduction or loss of income.

Whom may I contact with questions?

Students who require assistance in completing the application, or have other questions, may contact the following offices weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Friday.

Application questions: Financial Aid Office –

Financial Aid general questions:

Student Accounts and general payment questions: