, formerly known as Students in Free Enterprise (SIFE), is an international non-profit organization that works with leaders in business and higher education to mobilize university students to make a difference in their communities while developing the skills to become socially responsible business leaders
Participating students form teams on their university campuses and apply business concepts to develop outreach projects that improve the quality of life and standard of living for people in need.
Active on more than 1,200 college and university campuses in 31 countries, Enactus encourages you to take what you've learned in the classroom, apply it to real-life situations and use that knowledge to better your community through educational outreach projects.
Students develop leadership, teamwork and communication skills by learning, practicing and teaching the principles of free enterprise through service learning projects that create economic opportunity and positively impact the community. Hilbert Enactus team members take projects from start to finish, handling all planning, management and implementation.
Among the many diverse Enactus projects at Hilbert have been a board game, a two-mile "moon" or after-dark walk-a-thon, a craft fair, lectures, and "It's Economic" competitions. By working on these and other projects, you'll develop leadership, teamwork and communication skills through learning, practicing and teaching principles about free enterprise.
Since the creation of SIFE at Hilbert in 2001, the chapter has completed more than 100 projects and has achieved success at regional and national competitions.
Diggin' Down in the Dominican Republic
Since the creation of Diggin' Down in the DR in 2006, 20 Hilbert College students have traveled to the Dominican Republic and performed service learning projects. These projects include:
- Nourish the Needy -- Students, using seeds donated to a Dominican Republic nutrition center, construct a sustainable vegetable garden. Goya also donates cans of non-perishables to aid in feeding those in need.
- Get in the Zone...With a Micro-loan -- Local businesses in need are granted a micro-loan in order to enhance their establishment.
- Business in a Blueprint -- Entrepreneurs are invited to an informational session, where they learn how to budget and create a business plan.
- Entreprenuers for Life -- Students at local schools are given suckers and asked to promote and sell them, teaching them the fundamentals of free enterprise.
- Action for Education -- Enactus collects uniforms so children are able to attend school.