On Friday, September 28, Hilbert College will be joining our fellow Franciscan colleges and universities across the nation in participating in a campus-wide Day of Service to allow students, alumni, faculty, staff and friends to live out the Hilbert mission of serving and strengthening their communities.
Students, alumni, faculty, and staff are invited to participate and be a part of Hilbert’s Day of Service, the kick-off event for Hilbert College's True Blue Weekend! This day is an important opportunity for Hilbert volunteers to see and understand the impact and importance of service, as well as take action to promote equality, justice, respect and compassion.
Volunteers are asked to dress appropriately for the work that they will be performing. Pants, jeans or knee-length shorts and closed-toe, sturdy shoes (such as sneakers) with socks are required. Volunteers should not wear tank tops, sweatpants, yoga pants, leggings or revealing/tight-fitting clothing. Hilbert t-shirts will be provided at check-in to all volunteers who register prior to September 20th.
Check-in is at 8:45am in the Campus Center. Transportation to and from our community partners will be provided, along with lunch at about 1:00pm in Hilbert’s Campus Center.
Hilbert College is proud to be partnering with various community partners to provide service sites for this year’s event. Below is a listing of each of our Day of Service’s community partners, along with their mission and a description of the day’s service activity.
- 716 Ministries is a community development organization, providing economic capacity and property revitalization to the greater Buffalo, New York area. Volunteers will be assisting with one of two projects: assisting with the renovation for a community health center or helping with servicing and beautifying 716 Ministries' community center.
- Compass House provides runaway, homeless and street youth with safe shelter and services at both their emergency shelter and resource center in Erie County. Compass House remains the only shelter and resource center for all genders, ages 12-24 in Erie County. Hilbert volunteers will be assisting at the resource center with creating outreach packets, organizing personal care donations and agency files.If time allows, additional duties may be assigned, including light cleaning of common areas of the resource center.
- Cradle Beach serves the needs of children with disabilities and those who come from disadvantaged background through various programs, including a Residential Summer Enrichment Camping Program that serves over 800 campers a summer.Hilbert volunteers will be assisting with a variety of maintenance projects including painting, cleaning and lawn work, etc.
- Family Promise of WNY's mission is to unite faith communities and people of good will in responding to the needs of families experiencing homelessness in our community. Volunteers will assist with cleaning out filing cabinets, sorting and cleaning our children's toys need, test some older technology to determine if it is in working condition along with other tasks that may be assigned.
- Family Resource Council of WNY's vision is to make 347 East Ferry Street a pillar of the community to bring stability, hope and inspiration to the families they serve through extraordinary programs that include youth and adult education, athletics and veteran services. Volunteers will be participating in outdoor beautification of the community center and indoor deep cleaning. This entails picking up trash in the front of the building, parking lot, and park. Indoor cleaning includes the first floor and gym. The outdoor group will also be sprucing up our two flower beds with some fall flowers.
- Habitat Buffalo ReStore South is a socially-conscious retail outlet, selling gently-used furniture, household appliances, building materials, and home accessories. ReStore inventory changes daily, and items are sold at a fraction of retail price. Thousands of items are kept out of landfills, and every purchase helps Habitat build homes for families in need. Volunteers will assist with with merchandising, inventory, and cleaning duties. Heavy lifting may be involved.
- S.S. Columba-Brigid Roman Catholic Church is a neighborhood, multicultural Catholic church where all are welcome. Volunteers will assist with light maintenance and housekeeping work. Volunteers will also assist in testing donated technological devices to see if they are in working order.
- Tifft Nature Preserve is a 264-acre nature refuge dedicated to conservation and environmental education. Animals from the entire region take advantage of its ponds, marshes and woodlands. It has become an urban sanctuary for people and animals alike. Volunteers will be assisting with tree-planting and creating salamander habitats.
If you are a non-profit or community organization who would like to partner with Hilbert College as part of our Day of Service, please reach out to Rachel Wozniak at firstname.lastname@example.org.