All individuals who do not live in college housing are required to complete this form to request a meal plan.  This form is sent to Dining Services, Student Finance, and Residence Life to assist with managing your meal plan on campus.
This number can be found on your student ID card.
This can be found on the back of your student ID card.
In order to have a meal plan with Hilbert College, students are required to follow the policies below:

-Hilbert Student ID is required to access both meal plan and Hawk Bucks
-Meal plans cannot be shared between students. Students cannot share food as well. 
-Unused meals do not roll over from semester to semester.
-Unlimited meal plans include 3 guest passes. If students have additional guests, they must use cash, credit or hawk bucks to obtain a meal. 
-Hawk Bucks will roll over from Fall to Spring, but not from Spring to Fall.
-Food, dishes, utensils may not be removed from the dining room, except those participating in our EcoToGo program.
-EcoToGo participants will not receive a new container, unless first providing a used container. EcoToGo participants are responsible for lost or stolen containers. Students can use Hawk Bucks to purchase a container. Students can refer to their EcoToGo contract for replacement costs.

Failure to uphold any of these policies could result in students participating in the student conduct process that could result in loss of privileges of dining services. 

The person using this meal plan agrees to following the Hilbert College Hallmark Dining policies as outlined in the Student Code of Conduct along with the directives above.

Meal plans will be added to your student account within one week of completing this form when the college is open.  For questions on billing, please contact Student Finance.
-No meal plans can be refunded.
-No meal plans can be prorated.
-Meals do not roll over from semester to semester.